These statements describe the beliefs promoted here at Mothering by Grace. We believe in the freedom of individual families to make their own choices, and these beliefs do not limit our fellowship, they simply define what is advocated here.
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by grace, through faith, a work of God in our lives.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that the church is the bride of Christ, God’s family here on earth. Every believer is part of the invisible church and participation in the visible church is central to the Christian faith.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all humanity and to receive His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
- Christian marriage is instituted by God as a symbol of Christ’s relationship to the Church. As God intended, Christian marriage should be between one man and one woman and is the foundation for godly families.
- Children are a blessing to their parents and are created in God’s image with the worth and dignity of all human beings.
- Babies are completely dependent upon their parents. We reject the idea that babies cry to manipulate their parents, and we support responding to the needs that are expressed through cries and other signals babies provide. This response provides security for the infant and a foundation for trusting the parents. We reject harsh “cry-it-out” methods of sleep training.
- Breastfeeding is God’s design for mothers and babies. We support cue feeding for infants and also will offer support for those who desire to nurse into toddlerhood and beyond.
- Both babies and toddlers benefit from physical proximity to their parents. We support babywearing and including children in daily routines.
- Parents have a responsibility to discipline and teach their children. We affirm positive, gentle and respectful discipline in the spirit of discipleship and will not support spanking, hot-saucing or other methods of adversarial discipline. At the same time, we will not condone permissive parenting where parents lack authority.
- We believe that God has given parents the responsibility for decisions for their own children, and that we support parents making researched, prayerful decisions about issues such as vaccinations, circumcising, schooling, birthing, and child care.